I Subscribe to NEWSLETTERS, Not Advertisements

Photo credit: Pixabay

 

I’m a big e-newsletter person. Anytime I come across the opportunity to subscribe to a newsletter, then, if it’s something that caters to my interests, I’ll sign up. I also sign up to a lot of author newsletters, as a way to support fellow authors.

 

But this morning, I had to unsubscribe from a popular newsletter I have been receiving for a while. The reason? The whole purpose of that issue of the newsletter was to share about the owner’s most recent podcast, which was basically to talk people into buying his book, paying for his coaching services, or signing up for one of his online courses.

 

Never mind that the podcast summary I read beneath his podcast was just that: A summary. This was discouraging to someone who is deaf and must rely on text beneath a podcast to know what was being said since I can’t HEAR a podcast that doesn’t have closed captioning. The podcaster saying “you’ll get more information from watching the podcast” that I couldn’t really understand without captioning only made me roll my eyes.

 

It wasn’t all that which made me unsubscribe from the newsletter. I’m used to coming across something on the internet which I, a Deaf person, cannot enjoy like hearing people can.

 

No, what did it for me was the newsletter issue’s purpose being “I can show you how to do this if you buy my book/work with me/take my course.”

 

The entire newsletter issue this person sent out was focused on that podcast. I had clicked to read the summary because in his newsletter, the owner presented a problem many creatives and freelance writers have, then said: “Watch my podcast to learn how to solve this problem!” (I’m paraphrasing here.) But even then, the podcast was an invitation for the viewer to do more.

 

IT DIDN’T EVEN PROVIDE THE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM!!

 

When I subscribe to a newsletter, I am not interested in advertisements. I am not interested in “dangling carrots.” And I am not interested in “this is what’s up with me” posts that provide no takeaway value for readers.

 

What I am interested in is information. I want news and instruction through articles WITHOUT dangling carrots. I want the owner’s thoughts and ideas about a common topic or current event. I want inspiration, motivation and entertainment.

 

Not advertisements!

 

Because no matter how you word your articles then include links to your workshops or no matter what nifty perks you have to offer readers if they would just buy your book or take your course, what you are offering is STILL an advertisement! An advertorial, if you will.

 

It's basically just a tool you are using to make more money!

 

I understand that, as someone hoping their newsletter subscribers will buy something of theirs, they’ll occasionally put out an ad for those things, but when doing so, PLEASE say in the subject line something that lets us know that it’s an ad and not what you normally get from an issue of the newsletter. I’m interested in what we normally get from your newsletter. I also understand that newsletters WILL include ads or special announcements in them. That’s a given. My own newsletter includes those, too. But please don’t devote the WHOLE issue of your newsletter to trying to sell your stuff. It’s just tacky and off-putting.

 

I am not interested in those kinds of newsletters and I have no problem unsubscribing from them. I won’t be someone’s guinea pig, pawn or test subject to see what kind of dangled carrot works best in a newsletter to help someone else make money. That’s not why I signed up for it!

 

Good newsletters give readers what they want. They provide the kind of insights and information we can only get from the newsletter owner. There are hundreds of e-newsletters out there on the World Wide Web, so newsletter readers are pretty selective in which ones they subscribe to. Plus, my time is limited, so I am extra selective in what I use my free time for. I don’t know about you, but I’m not going to waste my free time with a newsletter disguised as an ad. I’d rather put that time to good use in learning something new or reading something that will make me think.

 

Don’t give newsletter subscribers a reason to unsubscribe from your newsletter by disguising it as an advertisement. Give them a reason to come back for more of the things that they want and need, and can only get from you.

Comments