Spending the afternoon in the car

When I left the house today to pick up my oldest from work, he wanted to know if we could go a couple of places before going home. I had some food prepared for my lunch (as well as for him) so I requested we go home first to eat before running errands.

 

It’s a good thing I did, because the timing worked out! I didn’t realize it, but right when we set off for those errands, it would be a while before we returned home for good!

 

So while we ate our food, he and I were both working on projects – him on his laptop and me on the family PC. (I was doing some work on my poetry books. A new poetry book was born today! It came out of a poetry book that I was unable to figure out in the past but now I figured it out. Yay!)

 

After we were done, we left. We went to the high school to pick up my youngest. From there, we got gas in the care and went to a grocery store. My oldest was getting some things and, since I’d been craving cheesecake for days, I asked him if he would get me a slice of cheesecake in the store. (I stayed in the car. I was avoiding as much walking as possible because my knee is still swollen a bit and sore. I still have a bit of a limp too.)

 

Well, he was able to get me a slice of cheesecake all right. It was the biggest slice of cheesecake I have ever had!!

 


 

It was delicious. (Thank you, Centauri!)

 

After that, we swung by the library to drop off 20 books that were borrowed by the preschool my oldest works at. While I was in the backseat with those books, I decided to read some of them.

 


 

My youngest LOVED the Pete the Cat and Skippyjon Jones books when they were little. Reading them again reminded me of the many times I read those books to them.

 

Then we headed out to Target because my oldest had to get something from the pharmacy. On the way there, my youngest, who was driving, caught sight of one of their friends so they stopped in a parking lot to say hi to them. While the car was parked, I noticed a newspaper kiosk for Eugene Weekly. I always read Eugene Weekly whenever I see a new issue out so I asked them to get one for me.

 


 

After Target, I asked the kids if they were going to attend a group meeting today. It is a weekly support group for LGBTQ+ youth. They said they did and I reminded them about the time. We stopped at home for bathroom breaks (including the dog!), and I also grabbed some water and my heart med, which I was due to take soon. Then we went to where they have the group meeting.

 

I stayed in the car during the meeting, like always. I usually read ebooks on my phone, so that’s what I did. I had been reading those ebooks all day while I was out running errands.

 

The four ebooks I am reading on my phone are:

 

The Mammoth Book of Folk Horror edited by Stephen Jones

Scorched Earth Magic: The Eldritch of Hallows Book 2, by Elana McDougall

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Sound: A Memoir of Hearing Lost and Found by Bella Bathurst

 

I was interrupted in my reading of the last book when the group meeting ended. My kids got in the car and we were on our way home. My youngest brought me an ice cream treat when they returned; it was a mini ice cream sandwich. Yummy!

 

On the way, songs started playing in my head, so I did not continue reading the ebook. I was too distracted by the songs! They are old songs that I heard before I lost all of my hearing. I usually just let them play in my head (I do this with all songs that I know so that I won’t forget any of them!), but I got so caught up with a couple of them, I was tempted to sing them out loud! But I didn’t do that. Instead, I just silently mouthed the words, bobbed my head a bit and played air guitar. (I turned the back seat into a music studio! LOL)

 

I still had music playing in my head after we got home and while I was tidying up the house. Which was good, because it was better than having no music at all while I was busy organizing and cleaning.

 

Now the day is ended. We had a fun time in the car and I’m just glad I made sure I got to eat some lunch first before we headed out!

 


Comments