The 12 Things Challenge


Before the year started, I wanted to learn 12 new things, one thing each month of the year. I always love learning new things (which is part of the reason why I devour the news every day!), and as part of this “new life” I am living (i.e., sober), I want to make an effort to continue to improve as a person and increase my skills as much as possible.

 

Unfortunately, I was not able to learn all 12 things that I planned to learn this year. Alas! Because of Covid restrictions, insufficient planning and lack of funds, I was just not able to get the last of the things that I wanted to learn down pat.

 

Here are the things that I DID manage to learn this year:

 

1. Cars (the basics, anyway)

2. Exercise and physical fitness

3. Running

4. Yoga

5. Tai Chi

6. Hiking

7. Tae Kwon Do

 

I should add that, in some cases, I used a book to learn about some of those things. I tried to put into practice what the books taught me, but without an expert – or someone who is more knowledgeable about these things – I just felt like I didn’t really “learn” everything I wanted to know.

 

The things I used books for are: Cars, running and Tae Kwon Do.

 

The books were helpful, but I REALLY need a coach, teacher or expert to work with me so that I can adequately learn about these things. I know I made mistakes, and there were lots of questions I had I couldn’t get answers to. So, that said, I think taking a course on those things, or finding a coach, would be helpful. When I have the funds and when Covid restrictions are more relaxed, then I can make that happen.

 

Here are the things I didn’t get a chance to learn how to do this year:

 

8. How to swim

9. Rock climbing

10. Archery

11. Knife-throwing

12. How to use a crossbow

 

Learning how to swim has been on my list of resolutions for years, but it just never happened. I was hoping to make it finally happen this year, but unfortunately that was a no-go. As to rock climbing: Both of my kids have done rock climbing, and so they know more about it. I have always been fascinated by rock climbing and, despite my hand disability, I have always wondered if I could do it too. So I have talked with my kids about it and asked questions. It MIGHT be doable. I really hope to find out someday.

 

So, there it is. What I was able to learn how to do this year and what I was not able to learn how to do this year. Seven out of twelve isn’t so bad. I will just move the things I couldn’t learn to another year and add some other stuff to complete it so that there is twelve. Those things will happen in their own time.

 

There is, actually, one other thing I was surprised to learn about this year: Mountaineering! When I first started reading a book about it, I decided that this stuff wasn’t for me. Because of my deafness and hand disability, there are some aspects of mountaineering that would definitely be a challenge. But all the same, I read the book and learned a lot about the topic! Of course, I have not had the chance to apply what I learned in this book to real life situations, but it is good to know these things!

 

I’m just glad that the list I prepared for 2022 involves activities I can learn and do at home! I may have to turn to YouTube to look for some tutorials.

Comments