All roads lead home

So today I had the opportunity to go for a long drive. At first, I thought I had run out of ideas on where to go. I have already explored so many different routes, gone to other cities and taken roads less traveled. But then I remembered something else: I have a list of places I still want to explore. Many of them are nearby.

And so, today, I was happy to be able to cross one place off that list. We went out to Sweet Home. A coworker has talked about it a lot and i was curious about it. So today was the day to check it out! 

Fortunately, it was easy to get there. I had looked up the route on Google Maps and wrote down the directions (because there's always a chance I could end up somewhere where I can't get a signal and Google Maps won't work anymore -- as has happened a few times). I followed these directions and was surprised at how easy it was to get there from my location. Sadly, we were not able to visit any businesses there or stay long. But I am just so glad we went!

Unfortunately, the drive back was not so easy. There were signs for all kinds of roads EXCEPT for the road I needed to turn back onto in order to return to where I needed to go. I had looked for landmarks to help me remember where the road was but all that was there was just a sign pointing out where other cities were. At the time, I did not use this as a landmark to help me find the road I needed. But I guess I should have, because that was all that was there!

But the world didn't end just because I missed my turn. The route we ended up taking turned out to be very interesting. I actually ended up in the same city my in-laws live in! (We did not have time for a visit, unfortunately.) 

And I have noticed that, somehow or another, all roads tend to lead back home. Well, "home" as in, a familiar city. Like Eugene or Springfield. And that is exactly what happened here.

This road that I took that took us through two other cities ACTUALLY LED right to a freeway! Just continuing along that road got me onto the freeway and I was on my way back to Eugene! I thought that was so awesome! I was driving through this city thinking, I need to find the freeway. Where is the freeway?? And I ended up right back on the freeway! So cool!

So I got lost and then I wasn't lost. So very interesting!

And it is kinda cool how that turned out, too. I mean, yeah, I was VERY lucky this time. I mean, one time we ended up in other cities, I had no clue where I was and couldn't find the dang freeway! But this time, the freeway found me.

And it's also cool because now I know where that road goes. And if I am ever on that road again and I  happen to miss my turn again, at least now I know what to do. I can just sit back, relax, and just keep driving straight.

I guess you could say getting lost has its perks.

Comments