The 18th Anniversary of 9/11


Every morning, I turn on the news to see what's going on in the world. But on September 11, 2001, I had not turned on the news that morning. Instead, I was chatting with an online friend. She was talking about the attacks and how big of an impact it is going to have in the future. Of course, I didn't know what she was talking about, so I asked. Her only answer was that I should turn on the news. So I did, and I was stunned at the news coverage I was watching. America had been attacked by terrorists. At first, I was trying to wrap my brain around what had happened. Was this real? Did this really happen to us that morning? Were people really dead because of terrorists hijacking planes and crashing them into buildings? 

Unfortunately, yes. This was very real. This had really happened. 

My shock turned to sadness then anger. I was so devastated and I was soon crying as I watched the continued coverage of the attacks. I was stunned to witness the coverage of people jumping out of the Twin Towers. That is an image I remember to this day. So is watching the footage of the towers collapsing to the ground far below. 

I was eight months pregnant at the time, and I was suddenly terrified to bring a child into a world where something so horrible and devastating could happen. One minute, you are flying on a plane to a destination, and the next, terrorists who only know evil in their hearts bring your life to an end. What kind of world is that to bring a child into? Where there is so much hate and so much danger? I was part of an online group at the time, and we were all sharing our reactions to the attacks. One thing I shared was my fears about bringing a child into such a world. Someone said that maybe my child will be someone who grows up to make a big difference in this world. 

In my darkest hour, I hold onto that hope. 

I hold onto the hope that the children of 9/11 and future generations will be the change that we want to see. That they will one day bring terrorism to an end. I still had that hope when I gave birth to my second child 6 years later. 

As my children grew older, they didn't understand what 9/11 was all about, so we had to explain to them that on 9/11/01, America was attacked by terrorists from another country who hijacked airplanes and drove them into buildings. Their response to this was also shock and devastation. To this day, we all remember 9/11 as a day that nearly 3,000 people lost their lives to terrorists. 

The attacks on 9/11 were horrible and devastating. The pain and devastation is still strong for many people. I still remember that day and how much it shocked our country. At the same time, in our sadness and grief, it brought us all together and made us stronger than ever before. It made us hold onto our loved ones tighter and cherish each new day that we get to have with them. And we will hold onto the memories of the passengers on those planes whose lives ended that day. 

September 11, 2001 -- Never forget.

Comments