Scheduled books for scheduled reading


I love to read, and I try to read every day. Not just poems I get in email, posts on my Facebook feed or the Twitter feed, or articles I find of interest to read in the news notifications I get on my phone or through email. I love to read books – A LOT. And I can never just read ONE book at a time. I have to read several.

And when a coworker told me she was able to read books on her phone, too, that changed everything.

Normally, I read three books at a time when I am on schedule: A nonfiction book, a novel, and a history book. (I have two shelves of history books! It’s my favorite subject.) But there have been times when I am off schedule – when I have to work or I have doctor appointments or meetings that are not the typical “work meetings” that are scheduled every other week. (For example, next week I have to attend a meeting that will last for several hours, and I will be off schedule on that day.) On weekends, I will read a “weekend book” (currently a collection of vampire stories), and on days when I am taking a class, I read a supplementary book on the subject. I also have books set aside for research on a particular subject – these are books I read whenever possible because I try to do this research as often as I can.

As to books on my phone, that brought a whole new set of book reading into my reading life.

After my coworker told me about reading books on her phone, I went to my oldest and asked him for information about that. He told me that you can download apps to read ebooks on your phone and you can also use a money card to buy ebooks in the bookstore. These ebooks are accessible on the phone. After our talk, I fiddled around with my phone a bit, and pretty soon, I had my own personal library of ebooks to read on my phone! Yay! And you can adjust the size of the text in these ebooks to make it more convenient to read! Awesome!

But then I ran into a hurdle. Not only did I have ONE app to read ebooks with (the one I had the money card for), but I had ebooks on Kindle, too. Sadly, I had neglected the ebooks in my Kindle library, because I wasn’t really much of an ebook reader. But that is changing now!

Especially since I have scheduled when I read my ebooks.

I got into the habit of reading ebooks on my phone when I am at work on the weekends. I work 13 ½ hours for both Saturday and Sunday, and there are times when nothing is happening. People are sleeping or watching TV. Not really doing much of anything and don’t need medication or scheduled treatments. I have used this free time to scroll through Twitter or Facebook or check out Pinterest, but soon I started reading the ebooks on my phone, too. Sometimes I can’t read for too long, but I have started to save my reading time of those ebooks for my weekend shifts.

Except for the ebooks in my Kindle library. I wasn’t reading those yet, and I wanted to!

But I couldn’t figure out when I could do that.

Today, I had my answer.

Since today was an “off schedule” day because I had a doctor appointment, I wanted to read a book in my free time, but I couldn’t figure out which one. Then I remembered my neglected Kindle ebooks and thought maybe this would be a great time to read them! So I opened up one of the novels and started reading. I was able to read two chapters before I no longer had the time to read.

So, on unscheduled days, I will read the Kindle ebooks!

I now have scheduled reading time for ALL of my books and ebooks! Yay!

Reading is very important to me and it’s especially important that I make time to read every day. I am glad I have figured out how to include a bigger variety of books AND ebooks into my daily reading. Those ebooks have been sitting in my Kindle library unread for too long. Now it’s time to read them! I look forward to reading them all!

Comments