Thankful on Thanksgiving




“Only in America do we spend one day of the year being grateful for what we have then going out the next day of that same year to buy more stuff.” This is something that I muttered to my son this morning as I was watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade on TV this morning. And while that comment made my son laugh, I couldn’t help but wonder at how true it is. Then again, the only shopping I am doing tomorrow is Christmas gifts for my kids. I won’t be buying them everything; just the expensive stuff (and hoping I can score good deals on them!).



Then I started thinking about an article I read the other day about how that whole story of the first Thanksgiving being between the Pilgrims and Native Americans was a lie. Then about how there are so many people reminding us about how so many Native Americans were slaughtered and driven from their land after the arrival of the people on the Mayflower. (We get the same kind of lecture every Columbus Day!)



Yes, there is a lot of controversy attached to Thanksgiving – although it’s not the only holiday people bicker about (and I’m looking at you, Christmas and Easter). But I am not going to stop celebrating it. At the same time, however, I am no longer going to allow my kids to believe all the lies being spread around about Thanksgiving’s roots. No, I don’t want them to have a twisted view about why we celebrate Thanksgiving.



The bottom line is, it's a day we can give thanks. A day to count our blessings. It doesn’t have to be a time-honored tradition of eating turkey and stuffing just like the Pilgrims did (false!) at the very FIRST Thanksgiving (also false!) with the Native Americans (debatable). As far as I’m concerned, it’s a day to reap the harvest and enjoy a feast with your family, loved ones, and friends. A day to give thanks, really, just like the name implies! Thanksgiving is a day to remind us of the importance of taking the time to be thankful and to count our blessings. Of course, some people take the “gratitude challenge” and list what they are thankful for during the entire month of November. Some people even keep a gratitude journal. And some people make gratitude a Big Deal on “Turkey Day.” (Don’t take offense to my calling it that, dear vegetarian readers.) I think gratitude IS important. I make it a point for us to share what we are grateful for when we sit down to our Thanksgiving feast. And I often take time each day to think about at least ONE thing that I am grateful for from my day.



It’s important to express gratitude all year, but I think we should just try to keep the “thanks” in the “giving” every Thanksgiving Day and just enjoy time with people who are important to us. Enjoy your meal and take time to be thankful for your blessings. Think about what you are grateful for and appreciate it.



That said, I am certainly thankful for so many things. I am thankful to my father-in-law and mother-in-law for inviting us to their house today for Thanksgiving dinner AND making everything for the feast (I didn’t have to worry about making anything for Thanksgiving for the first time in over 10 years!! That was pretty awesome! However, I STILL made the pumpkin pies, because I do that EVERY Thanksgiving and, ya know, old habits). I am thankful that, at age 10, my son spent Thanksgiving with his grandparents for the very first time. (I hope there will be many more for him!) I am thankful for my improved health, my family, friends and loved ones. I’m thankful for having a job now and for some other good things happening this year. I am thankful that we still have a roof over our heads and that our house hasn’t sunk yet! I’m grateful we live where my kids have opportunities and resources for whatever they need. I am thankful that my MIL and FIL live closer now. I’m thankful that I get along with them so well! I am thankful my kids get to see their grandparents more often. I am thankful that I still have a working relationship with a publishing company and also thankful for my novel that they will release soon. I am thankful that my car is still working and the damage was not extensive after that accident my son and I were in recently – and I am thankful that no one was hurt! I am thankful to have such a loving, faithful, understanding, unselfish and supportive husband in my life who is a great father to our kids. I am thankful for my ability to write. I am thankful for the Internet and texting so I can stay in touch with long-distance family. I am thankful for the people I know online who are awesome, supportive and great to talk with. I am thankful for being able to STILL resist the temptation to drink alcohol (I was VERY tempted today!). I am thankful for the amazing staff at my kids’ schools as well as their awesome doctors, dentists and other people in the medical field who have helped them. I am thankful that my kids don’t have to go hungry, that they have beds to sleep in, new clothes to wear most of the time, and even pets. I am thankful my kids can have a good childhood and not have to deal with an alcoholic or violent father. I am thankful for the many books I get to enjoy reading and that I have time to read! I am thankful for my curiosity about the world and desire to learn new things because it certainly keeps life interesting! I am thankful there are people in my life willing to help me, us, and others in need. I am thankful for everybody’s patience and tolerance in putting up with me and my quirks and that they understand I just have a way of doing things and they also understand AND accept my faults. Most of all, I am thankful to God.

Comments